Personal Assistants (PAs)

What is a Personal Assistant (PA)?

A personal assistant is someone who is usually employed directly by a person who needs support to live their life in a way they choose.

They can also be employed by a family member or representative, when the person they are supporting does not have the physical or mental capacity to be the employer.

However, a personal assistant always works directly with the individual they are supporting. It’s most likely that this should be through an employed arrangement, rather than being self-employed. 

People employing personal assistants are often referred to as individual employers. As a personal assistant you are likely to be involved in many aspects of your employer’s life and may be asked to provide support in the home, at leisure or at work. 

Recruiting a Personal Assistant (PA)

If you are looking to employ someone to help you with your daily living tasks there are some simple steps you can follow in order to recruit your PA.

The Skills for Care website offers guidance so that you can make sure you have thought of everything you will need to do, such as writing a job description and advert. They also offer suggestions on where to advertise your role. We have compiled a list of ideas of local places where you could advertise as follows:

  • Use a noticeboard at your local supermarket. Quite often it is free to use and is simple to arrange. Ask at the customer service desk how to go about this.
  • Contact the Community Participation team at Telford & Wrekin Council. They work to support local communities and will be able to help you to get the word out about your job role. They also manage some social media pages in which they can place your advertisement. You can email them or give them a call on 01952 382245.
  • Contact the Community Learning team at Telford & Wrekin Council. They work with individuals in the community who are looking to find work. You can call on 01952 382888.
  • Visit
  • Use your own social media account
  • Use a social media noticeboard
  • Ask at places of worship
  • Ask at your Parish or Town Council
  • Put an advert in your local community centre

Visit to find local Personal Assistants (PAs)